Nicknames are wonderful dramatic devices because they can work with the character’s apparent physical nature or personality, work against it for humiliating or comedic effect, play into the plot by telegraphing the activities in which the character will engage, create irony, or provide mystery by hinting at information or a back-story for the character that led to its nickname but has not yet been divulged to the readers.
Subscribe via Email
Today’s Top Posts & Pages
- The False Narrative
- Writing Stories About Hopes and Dreams
- Psychology, Personality, Persona & Perception - The 4 P's Revisited
- Identifying Your Main Character
- How do you create a main character who is an antagonist?
- Throughlines and How to Use Them!
- The Main Character Element of the Hero Stereotype
- Melanie Anne Phillips ~ An Introduction
- Only One Main Character in a Story
- What Is Dramatica?
- Creative Writing
- Narrative Science
- Story Development
- Story Points
- Story Structure
- Writing Tip of the Day
- zzzzzzzzzzzz….. (snore)