Nicknames are wonderful dramatic devices because they can work with the character’s apparent physical nature or personality, work against it for humiliating or comedic effect, play into the plot by telegraphing the activities in which the character will engage, create irony, or provide mystery by hinting at information or a back-story for the character that led to its nickname but has not yet been divulged to the readers.
Today’s Most Popular Articles
- The False Narrative
- How do you create a main character who is an antagonist?
- 10 Screenwriting Tips
- Writing Stories About Hopes and Dreams
- Spin a Tale, Weave a Story
- Identifying Your Main Character
- The Story Mind (Part 4) - The Dramatica Chart
- Dramatica Theory (Annotated) Part 1 "A Place to Start"
- Write Your Novel Step by Step (12) "Expected Characters"
- What Creates Dramatic Tension?
- Creative Writing
- Melanie's Corner
- Narrative Science
- Story Development
- Story Points
- Story Structure
- Writing Tip of the Day
- zzzzzzzzzzzz….. (snore)